Saturday, October 25, 2008

Luke 15:10

Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, that there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. (KJV)

In the same way, I tell you there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. (NIV)

My husband, Pastor Rob, is notorious for putting things down and not remembering where he has laid them. Not knowing where his keys might be on any given day is probably his most frequent problem. Most days the keys are found pretty easily. However, there have been times when an all out search by everyone in the house has been needed. Sometimes he even has to borrow my keys until his shows up. You can imagine how happy he is when he finally finds his own keys. Everyone in the house is happy, too.

In our verse for this week, Jesus has told a parable of a woman who has lost one of her silver coins. She searches and cleans her house until she finds it and then calls in her neighbors and friends to celebrate with her in finding the coin. Jesus then says that “in the same way, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” I wonder what it was like in heaven when I repented and was saved from God’s wrath. I like to think that maybe there will be an “instant replay” of my salvation experience when I get to heaven, so I will know.

I remember about ten years ago now, learning about a salvation experience of a co-worker of mine. We had had summer vacation and during those first few days back when we were setting up our rooms, I met Pam in the hallway. The first thing she said to me was, “Rhonda, I found the Lord this summer!” I remember wrapping my arms around her and saying something like, “Praise the Lord, Pam! I am so happy for you!” Pam knew we had been praying for her and that made the experience even sweeter. Pam has since passed on and is now enjoying the rewards of heaven.

We experience joy here on earth when someone comes to know Christ as Savior. I’ve had several other similar experiences like the one with Pam, but not nearly enough of them. There are so many people out there who are lost! What am I doing to try to reach them? What are you doing to try to reach them? I’m happy when Rob finds his keys, but I experience true joy, and so will you when we share in helping someone to find Jesus as their Savior. Do you know Him?

No comments: